Mimi Bogle (a.k.a. Michael’s mom) gave Lily a Fisher-Price “Baby’s 1st Doll” as a gift, and the doll has been sitting on a bookshelf waiting for Lily to be old enough to enjoy her. The other day, on a whim, I put the doll in the crib next to Lily while she was looking at her mobile, and she went nuts for it! She started smiling and cooing, and “talking” to her doll.
I wish I’d had a camera at the time, but since then I’ve tried to catch her talking to her dolly – here’s one conversation below. As with all videos, be prepared for me to talk in a higher-pitched and likely quite annoying voice, but hey…my target audience is a bit less sophisticated than you are, so deal with it! :-)
So, “Baby’s 1st Doll” isn’t exactly a fabulous name, so the doll has been re-named Lucy Bumblegarden (again…I have no explanation). We all lived in harmony for a couple of days, with lots of smiles and cooing all around. Life was good. Unfortunately, darker times would lie ahead, and Miss Bumblegarden has since fallen out of favor with the senior members of the Bogle household. In fact, she has recently become my arch rival. This fluff-for-brains, upstart ragamuffin has now stolen something precious from both Michael and me…Lily’s first laughs!
This past weekend, Michael was watching Lily and Miss Bumblegarden, when Lily let out a brief chuckle in her doll’s dumb little face. The same thing happened to me yesterday when I was waving Lucy in front of Lily. A sweet chuckle emerged, bestowed not upon her adoring mother (who has tried all manner of ridiculous tricks to elicit a laugh after missing the first one), but upon the ungrateful Lucy. Lucy, who I might add, wouldn’t even have such a charming and increasingly British-sounding voice if not for Lily’s parents! Argh. Oh well. Mommy and Daddy will carry on as before…acting as goofy as they know how in an attempt to compete with Miss Bumblegarden, who can charm the socks off our daughter without so much as batting a stitched-on eyelash…and we’ll see who has the last laugh!







1 comment:
This is precious!! And so funny about the laugh, or not-so-funny! I'm sure there are many more laughs ahead
Post a Comment